Monday, December 14, 2015

Christmas Memories

Only a few days left till Christmas! Are you ready for it? I have been enjoying rolling down the road listening to Christmas music.

We'll have the day of Christmas off, but instead of trying to get to any of our family and rushing to see everyone in one day, we decided to stay on the road and let everyone who has kids or family go home. We also decided not to exchange gifts this year, since we have no room in the semi to keep stuff and no time to buy and mail stuff. Instead, we have told out family that we ask for their thoughts and prayers, and phone calls when possible - what more could we want?

Of course, it doesn't feel much like Christmas since we won't be seeing anyone or exchanging presents. But listening to Christmas music brings back a lot of cherished memories.

Family Christmas photo, circa early 2000s
When Bing Crosby croons "White Christmas" or Burl Ives tells us the story of Rudolph, it takes me back to snuggling on the couch with my mom, watching the classic Christmas movies every year. I smell cookies baking and see rows of chocolate dipped marshmallows that we will give out to our neighbors.

"It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" makes me think of going with my dad to pick out a Christmas tree. "The First Noel" and "Silent Night" bring back memories of days spent celebrating with church family and participating in the yearly church Christmas skit.

"Walking in a Winter Wonderland" reminds me of my first few winters in Indiana. Snow was a magical thing. My friends laughed at my enthusiasm, but I enjoyed the experience - snowmen, snow angels, snowballs, even [accidentally] falling through the ice on a river.

Lights at the zoo, Dec 2014
"Mr Grinch" makes me smile because last year, it was the only Christmas movie my sweetheart and I could find to watch in the few hours we had together. Our first Christmas was small, but we had each other and so we had the whole world.

It doesn't feel much like Christmas this year...but we will be together, wherever we are. What more could I want?

Safe travels, and merry Christmas to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment