Saturday, January 10, 2015

Food Musings

Let me start with a confession.

I like food.
Triple chocolate brownies, fresh from the oven
Ahh food. So much good food in the world.

But sometimes I swear all I have to do is look at food and gain weight. My wonderful husband, on the other hand, could eat a horse, burp impressively, and never gain a pound. He blames a fast metabolism and a job that involves walking 5-8 miles per day. I just say it's not fair and keep trying to feed him.

Pizza is a staple in our house, as are easy and quick meals like wings and pizza rolls. My amazing husband and I regularly collaborate on meals like orange chicken, breaded tilapia with rice, hamburger
mac'n'cheese, barbecue pork, etc. And
My honey cooking chicken while camping
casseroles are great because they provide a meal now and several more servings that I can divide into containers and pack in our work lunches. Yes, food is a big part of our lives.

And then there's dessert. Oh how I love dessert. Ice cream. Chocolate. Muffins and donuts and cookies, oh my. Basically everything containing sugar, but my body hasn't been handling it very well anymore.

So I tried a juice-type cleanse to try to flush some of that stuff out of my body and start the year out right. Let me tell you, for a food lover there are few things worse than
Fruit, vegetable, and yogurt smoothie
taking a combination of foods you like and foods you don't and pureeing them into an unappetizing brown slurry. Spinach, kale, bananas, yogurt, carrots, strawberries, lemon juice, sweet potato, cucumber, apples, apple cider vinegar, grapefruit... I found a few combinations that weren't as bad as they sound but they were still, quite frankly, disgusting. They sure did flush out my body though!

And then tonight I blew it. I couldn't face another greenish brown smoothie. Brownies happened. Chick-fil-A happened. And so did happiness. Because in my heart, I'll always be a foodie. Always.
Eggs, bacon, potatoes, oh my!


No comments:

Post a Comment