Friday, April 3, 2015

The Weight of Forgiveness

Image not mine

Good Friday, 2012. 

The paper rested in my hand, intimidating even in its diminutive size. This little sticky note represented my sin, but as I closed my eyes, the weight of my sin threatened to overwhelm me. Words catapulted toward me - words like pride, disbelief, ingratitude, complacency, disrespect... How could I sum up my sin on this little yellow strip of paper?

Slowly I began to write, then faster, until the side with the adhesive seemed nearly covered in words and I felt I could not write more without repeating variations of things I had already written. I stared at the sticky note as the pastor's words continued, speaking about the sins represented here being the reason for a death. A man died on a cross to erase that slip of paper. The familiar story, yet somehow more alive, more real, as the evidence stared me in the face. I was the guilty one who condemned an innocent man. Mine is the sin that caused Him to die. My life is the one He gave up His life to save.

My attention was directed to the wooden cross lying on the stage, red ribbons flowing from the upright nails driven into the beams. At the call, each person in attendance rose and attached their sticky note to the cross.

Suddenly the small yellow paper felt so heavy. I looked at what I had written. My heart seemed to rise in my chest. Forgive me, Lord.

Immediately the answer came back. I already have.

IT IS FINISHED.

I followed the stream of people approaching the cross. I knelt near the foot. I don't know why You want me, Lord, but You paid for this sinner and I am Yours. Gently I dropped the sticky note onto the wooden beam. As I rose, a church elder took my hand and pressed a small nail into my palm. I walked back to my seat and held the nail, a symbol of what had been done for me.

As the last person left the cross, it was nearly completely covered in little yellow pieces of paper. The weight of forgiveness suddenly hit me. Every single sticky note represented a person for whom Christ died, a person with sins for which He atoned. Every single sticky note represented weight of guilt carried no more, but transferred to the shoulders of the perfect sacrifice. Every single sticky note commemorated gratitude for an unbelievable, inconceivable, beautiful, wonderful Savior!

No comments:

Post a Comment